I always get asked what is the number 1 thing I need to know to grow my personal training business. Sorry, there is not 1 thing, it is a combination different … that will make you more money as a personal trainer.
So I have put together a collection of what you need to know:
- Stop selling packs of personal training
- Ensure you have direct debit in place
- Have a minimum of 5 marketing strategies in place at any 1 time
- Get a website, you don’t need to spend $1000’s to get a website, it can be done for a couple of hundred dollars and still be effective
- No one gives a shit about your logo, so stop spending so much time on making it perfect
- Learn to sell and start loving it!
- Stop making excuses for why things are not happening and find solutions to make it happen
- Start hanging around with like minded people
- Ensure that you have concrete goals for every aspect of your life, not just your fitness business
- Referrals are one of the easiest ways to get more clients (well only if you are looking after your current clients)
- Stop doing jobs that you could get someone else to do like book keeping
- Ensure your message bank displays professionalism and encourages people to leave a message
- Maintain your cleanliness and hygiene, make sure you smell and look respectable
- Does your studio/fitness club look clean and professional?
- Stop hiding behind the computer, if you need more clients well then get out there!
- It is all about your client and all they care about is what is in if for them
- Get out there and network, start building relationships with local peeps and businesses
- The more you learn the more you earn so start reading, go to seminars, listen to cd’s, talk to smart people.
- Learn about public speaking, one of my clients does this regularly and consistently brings in a minimum of 10 new leads each time he speaks
- Learn how to use Facebook, Twitter and other social networking platforms
- Get yourself a coach to keep you accountable and push you further, regardless of where you are at everyone needs one!
- Keep in contact with your database, they may not be ready now however you will be the first person they think of when they are ready
- Marketing is always changing so ensure you are keeping up to date however the best way to learn how to market is do it
- Make sure you have a massive point of difference otherwise you will be competing on price with the other fitness businesses in the area
- Wear your uniform where ever you go, you will be surprised by how many people ask about your business
- Stop exchanging time for money and start thinking how you can make money in your sleep
- Become a pro at time management, get a diary, plan your day to the minute and just fricken do it – no procrastination allowed!
- Stop wasting hours sitting on Facebook
- Train more of the people that you love to train and get rid of the draining clients – don’t need to explain that! 🙂
- Get as many testimonials and photos as possible and use them in your advertising, especially your website
- Make sure you are clear on who you want to train, get extremely specific on your target market. One of my girls trains women aged between 18-27 and is absolutely killing it cause she knows what their needs are
- Remember it does not happen overnight, it does take hard work however persistence does pay
- Build a network of local health practicioners that you can build a referral network with
- It is crucial that you have an opt in box on your website to capture peoples details so you can keep marketing to them
- Provide massive value to your clients and potential clients
- Stick to 1/2 hr personal training sessions
- Stop undercharging for sessions, I have heard personal trainers charging $20/half hour, you will definitely burn out quickly doing that
- Become apart of the community
- Stop believing radio, tv and newspaper are going to bring you in a ton of leads
- Ensure you systemize your business fully
- Know exactly what your clients want
- Under promise and over deliver
- Learn about search engine optimization
- Every successful person I know (and not just in the fitness industry) takes MASSIVE action
- Nothing will ever be perfect, so stop waiting and just get out there and do it
- If you need clients, then all you need to worry about is how you are going to get clients, everything else can wait
- Outsource the crappy jobs you hate
- Business is never a smooth road all of the time but it’s how you respond to adversity makes all the difference
- Know your numbers back to front, inside out and tweak them constantly
- Marketing does not have to be expensive, pretty much all of the strategies we use are very cost effective
- Get used to and start liking change
- Look after yourself by exercising and good nutrition, you must practice what you preach
- Believe in yourself
- You are going to have to get out of your comfort zone to grow your business
- Ask for feedback from your clients, they will give you some great ideas that you would not of though of
- Listen, your clients and prospects should be doing 80% of the talking
- Understand that yes you will make mistakes, learn from them cause you keep getting the lesson until you get the learning
- Have fun, life is to short!
- Make sure you are 100% passionate about your career, if not go find something that you are passionate about because people pick up on that very easily
- If nothing changes nothing changes, so if you are not getting a result you want change it
- Remove can’t from your vocabulary and just do
- Make sure you get a professional email address, gmail and yahoo do not look professional
- Do what you say you are going to do
- Get rid of any negative relationships in your life, they drag you down
- Block your pt sessions together so you are not doing 5 sessions over 11 hours
- Make sure you have a to do list everyday.
- Have an abundance mentality, if you start thinking that there is a lack of clients then yep that will happen to you
- If you get stuck, ask for help
- Be sure to nurture the most important relationships in your life
- Be persistent and flexible
- You have to give to get
- Make sure you take some time out and do the things you love to recharge your batteries so you can be the best you can
- Ensure that you make time to work on your business
- You have to have a clear action plan of how you want to get to where you want to be
- Read How to Win Friends and Influence People, a must have!
- People buy from people that they like and trust
- Learn to upsell
- Send out birthday cards to your clients
- Acknowledge peoples results and the brilliant things they achieve
- Perception is everything
- Be grateful for what you do have
- Never never ever give up
- Never lie, cheat or steal – karma will always come back and bite you on the arse
- Expect success, we always get what we expect
- Always be looking at how you can improve yourself and your business
- Set deadlines otherwise it will drag on forever
- Start small, think big
- Learn from failures
- Always give 100% to everything that you do
- Remember that success leaves clues
- Be true to your dreams, beliefs, character and ethics even when times are tough.
- Learn to say no, don’t spread yourself to thin
- Earn the trust and respect of people around you
- Never discount, always add value
- There is no miraculous secret to being successful
- Be willing to take a risk
- Make sure you have a marketing action strategy in place for at least the next 6 months
- Measure and track your marketing so you know what’s working and what’s not
- Like it or not, who you know is often still more important than what you know so always be connecting
- There is no try just do
- Celebrate….not just when you achieve your goals but along the way as well. Just don’t get caught up in it and undo all of your hard work.
Taking action on these tips will get you to where you want to be!
I know it’s overwhelming growing your fitness business, knowing where to start and what to do. One of my clients said this to me at the start of our first call, she was working from a home studio and with the support, guidance and accountability she now brings in over $4000 per week!
Want me to show you what and how to align to create six figure months FAST?
My brand new group program for Women in Fitness is about to start and I will cover:
Once again you have provided valuable and insightful words to fuel the success fires Kellie. Thankyou!
Thanks for the tips Kel, there’s definitely more than a few in this post that I’m going to implement to help me achieve my goals!
Love it, keep the tips coming
Thank you so much Kellie, this is exactly what I needed to be reminded off, I’m not going to procrastinate and use all these tips you have mentioned. I feel successful already…Love it, awesome!!! Keep them coming..
Very much appreciated 🙂
Awesome tips Kellie, totally agree.
Especially on public speaking most under used tool of a PT….. your voice!